PUTRE & LIST
REGION 1 (Compass)
Lat:00o00´S/00o00´W ha topography msl
Best Time for visit (5th-6th February, 2006)
Birding Site Guide
Putre (about 3,500m) is below the Lauca National park and has a few interesting birds around town. There are a few restaurants and places to stay here. A bus leaves Arica for Putre in the early morning from the 'La Palomita' bus office on Calle Riesgo and goes back from Putre at 2pm daily (P2000) from La Palomita shop.
From the centre of town, walk back out towards the highway (4km away) and after about 1km there is a river coming down a valley to the left. The roadside up to here also has a few interesting birds including Blue-and-yellow Tanager and Plain-breasted Earthcreeper. This valley has a path along the right side that gradually fizzles out. White-throated Earthcreeper can be seen along here(?). Back to town, fork right and follow the road to the end. This turns into path which crosses a valley. Walking down into this vally you can see a few birds including Dark-winged Canastero. Greenish Yellow-Finch can be seen in the town plaza. There was a log of fog when I was there making birding difficult. Mornings were best. I saw 20 species including 3 lifers.
- Bare-faced Ground-Dove Metriopelia ceciliae Photographed
- Sparkling Violet-ear Colibri coruscans Rare/Accidental Heard only
- Andean Hillstar Oreotrochilus estella Photographed
- Plain-breasted Earthcreeper Upucerthia jelskii
- White-throated Earthcreeper Upucerthia albigula Possibly seen
- White-winged Cinclodes Cinclodes atacamensis
- Streaked Tit-Spinetail Leptasthenura striata
- Dark-winged Canastero Asthenes arequipae
- Cordilleran Canastero Asthenes modesta
- Andean Swallow Stelgidopteryx andecola
- Chiguanco Thrush Turdus chiguanco
- Blue-and-yellow Tanager Thraupis bonariensis
- Black-hooded Sierra-Finch Phrygilus atriceps
- Mourning Sierra-Finch Phrygilus fruticeti Photographed
- Ash-breasted Sierra-Finch Phrygilus plebejus
- Band-tailed Seedeater Catamenia analis
- Greenish Yellow-Finch Sicalis olivascens
- Rufous-collared Sparrow Zonotrichia capensis
- Hooded Siskin Carduelis magellanica
- Black Siskin Carduelis atrata
A total of -- species of mammals.
There are -- recorded species of amphibians and reptiles.
Author: Charles Hesse